A BA’s journey from Business Analyst to Product owner
Finding the sweet spot
The presentation will be based on my own personal journey as a business analyst transitioning into a Product owner role and challenges faced when trying to find the balance between the Scrum Master mandate to ensure the team deliver, the development team desire to build the product the correct way and the Product owners vision to deliver the correct requirement that satisfies the business.
I will also share my experience:
- As a pseudo product owner and introduction to agile…what on earth is a user story and why do we groom?
- Understanding what a product owner actually does…how difficult could it be?
- Being an agile team…hang on a minute why is everyone else using waterfall?
- The challenges with IT enablers and project dependencies…how can we be agile with so many dependencies?
- Being the trailblazers….why does everything have be so difficult
- We do love our buzz words….Ideation is not working so let’s call it discovery… we don’t groom anymore, we refine…
- Customer and user experience…hmm sounds interesting…why do we care? Doesn’t the business decide?
- Time to sprint…are we ready? Uh maybe not…
- Love me retrospectives…time to reflect…oomm
About the Guest Speaker:
Jill Cowie: Lead Business Analyst for EOH Microsoft Coastal
I have been practising business analysis for over 13 years primarily in the financial service industry. I obtained my CBAP 3 years ago.
Business analysis is my passion and I strive to ensure high standards in everything that I do. I continually try to build the credibility of the business analysis role within the various organization I find myself working in, by continually delivering value to the business and by providing training and mentorship to my fellow business analyst.
As a Lead business analyst, I believe you need to take your team or the business on the journey to ensure that the team works optimally while having fun and delivering the objectives of business.
About our sponsor :
Metropolitan, a division of the JSE Listed MMI Holdings, is one of South Africa's largest financial services companies. With a legacy of more than 114 years of serving the communities in which we operate, we truly believe in empowering our customers to confidently shape their future, and are committed to delivering on our promises.
We believe financial literacy and the right advice is key when it comes to making decisions about your money. To help you achieve this we have branches throughout South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, Lesotho, and Swaziland.
Directions to event:
- Take N1 to Bellville.
- Take Durban Road Turn Off.
- At top of off ramp, turn left into Willie van Schoor Avenue (called Durban Road but on attached map is shown as Willie van Schoor Avenue).
- At next set of robots turn left into Mispel Road.
- First entrance on your left is the main entrance to Parc du Cap where security will direct you to Visitor Parking.
- Event will take place in the Auditorium, Building 7.